Knives as you know, are home essentials that you just can’t do without. You dice and cut onions, cheese, carrots, cabbage, and literally anything you desire in another in shape. Even though knives can be very harmful when used wrongly, that you can personally do without them is impossible at this time. In fact, other than your own kitchen, a few people include them in their toolbox for minor jobs like unscrewing and scraping.
Nevertheless, despite their usefulness and efficiency, those 2 qualities only last for a while since knives do eventually get blunt. This is why a knife sharpener is another essential. Knife sharpeners are tools that sharpen your knife blade and so avoid a lot of stress when you’re cutting. As a matter of fact, using a blunt knife can lead to injuries since you may occasionally get annoyed and will want to speed up the whole process. That’s certainly not a good move, seeing as you can avoid it with a quality knife sharpener. Though, on the part of the sharpener, factors like the type of knife, affordability, and effectiveness are some of the things to consider.
|Product name||Dimension||Unique feature|
|PriorityChef Knife Sharpener
|7.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches||· Manual
· Diamond coated wheel
|KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 Stage Knife Sharpener, Black
|4.3 x 2.1 x 5.9 inches||· Manual
· Two-stage sharpening system
|PriorityChef Knife Sharpener for Straight and Serrated Knives
|7.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches||· Manual
· 2-stage sharpening system
· Diamond coated wheel
|LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener, Kitchen Knives Sharpening System
|9.8 x 4.9 x 7.2 inches||· Automatic
|Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Professional Electric Knife Sharpener||10 x 4.2 x 4.2 inches||· Automatic
· Three-stage sharpening system
· Diamond abrasive rotating disc
|Chef’sChoice 4643 ProntoPro Knife Sharpener
|9.2 x 2 x 2 inches||· Manual
· Three-stage sharpening system
|Electric Knife Sharpener Tool 3-in-1 – Sharpening Machine for Knives||
|Zulay Kitchen 2-Stage Professional Knife Sharpener
|8 x 2.2 x 2.5 inches||· Manual
· 2-stage sharpening system
|PriorityChef Knife Sharpener, 2 Stage Sharpening System for Knives
|7.9 x 2.7 x 2.3 inches||· Manual
· Diamond coated wheel
|Presto 08810 professional electric knife sharpener
|18.4 x 11.2 x 2.2 inches||· Automatic
· 3-stage sharpening system
Table of Contents
- 1 KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 Stage Knife Sharpener
- 2 PriorityChef Knife Sharpener for Straight and Serrated Knives
- 3 LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener, Kitchen Knives Sharpening System
- 4 Presto 08810 Professional Electric Sharpener
- 5 Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
- 6 PriorityChef Knife Sharpener, 2 Stage Sharpening System for Knives
- 7 Electric Knife Sharpener Tool 3-in-1 – Sharpening Machine for Knives Scissors & Screwdrivers
- 8 Zulay Kitchen 2-Stage Professional Knife Sharpener
- 9 Chef’sChoice 4643 ProntoPro
- 10 Kitchellence Knife Sharpener
- 11 Knife Sharpener Buying Guide
- 12 Frequently Asked Questions
KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 Stage Knife Sharpener
Probably, you might have a knife that is dull and you want to avoid buying another one. After the above, our recommendation is the KitchenIQ 50009. You’ll find the 2-stage sharpening process easy to navigate and with the edge grip feature, you can easily attach the device to table edges or countertops.
When it comes to the design, a stainless steel that’s durable and rust-resistant plus a non-slip bottom provides both safety and stability to you. There’s also a ceramic slot that maintains your kitchen knife for easily cutting through most items. Still, despite all this, the size will need some getting used to, but you do get the whole package at an affordable price. So that line of thought is slightly weak at this point.
- It is portable and makes storage easy
- Affordable and works efficiently
- Straightforward process
- Extremely durable frame allows long-term use
- Really small
PriorityChef Knife Sharpener for Straight and Serrated Knives
PriorityChef knife sharpener is the first choice when it comes to the brands that most professionals prefer. This is partly due to features such as the 2-stage diamond coated wheel system. The quality whenever you use it makes sure that your knife is properly, on both edges sharped. After that, the handle is ergonomic for your easy and safe handling, the build quality is high so as to last a lot of use in the kitchen, and the non-slip base gets you strong stability when sharpening.
Finally, we find the price something you’ll like seeing as it’s budget-friendly.
- 2-stage, coarse diamond coated wheel for efficient sharpening
- Ergonomic design for convenient use
- Not too good for blades made with ceramic
LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener, Kitchen Knives Sharpening System
There are 2 types of knife sharpener that you can consider. The manual types and the automatic. Unlike the others that you’ve seen above, the Linkyo electric knife is an automatic sharpener that allows you to sharpen blades with a seamless move. You’ll use a system on your knife that makes sure the blade is held in the perfect position for sharpening. After that, you simply draw the knife towards you, wherein the non-slip suction cup keeps the sharpener in place. Further, the stop feature makes sure you don’t apply too much force on the knife which is very good for the lifespan.
There are 2 simple steps that the sharpener works, the first reshape the angle and restores the edge and the second hones and polish the blade surface for a smooth finish. You don’t need to stress too much on cleaning as well since an easy-to-remove plug is present. All you just have to do is empty the metal fillings and shards out occasionally.
- Quick and easy to use
- Mess-free sharpening process when sharpening
- Affordable and still comes with a one-year warranty
- It only sharpens knives with straight blades
Presto 08810 Professional Electric Sharpener
With this sharpener comes a sharpening process that takes you through 3 stages. In the first, you’ll use the Sapphirite coarse grinding wheel to sharpen the knife, after which the second continues with an increase in intensity (sharpening). The third is perfect for polishing your knife through a ceramic wheel.
The blade guides provide you with all the safety you need and they are even interchangeable so that they never get worn out. You also do not need to use your hand to guide the knife when you are sharpening it as that would be handled by the blade guide as well.
- Automatic knife sharpener with a three-stage sharpening system
- 120 volts motor for improved sharpening power
- Stable and thus, easy to use
- It is made of plastic
Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
Converting the blunt edge of your knife to sharp one is definitely straightforward with the ChefChoice. You have a three-stage sharpening operation available to you, which—coupled with the diamond edge, allows you to thoroughly sharpen most blunt knives within a minute. A duration of 10 seconds is needed for touch-ups.
By including the flexible spring guide for perfect sharpening angle of both straight and serrated blades, it’s comfortable as well
The first stage of sharpening involves passing your knife amongst rotating discs with diamond abrasives, the second rubs fine abrasives on the rotating disc to provide smoother and better sharpening, and the last one gives you a stropping flexible abrasive.
- Three-stage sharpening system for sharper blade
- Diamond abrasive for minimal metal loss
- Comfortable process
- Strong build for improved lifespan
- Its guards are made of plastic.
PriorityChef Knife Sharpener, 2 Stage Sharpening System for Knives
PriorityChef knife sharpener has a high performance when it comes to sharpening knives. A 2-stage sharpening system is available, and you can use it to sharpen a knife after another with no uncomfortable heating. Moving to the design, the body is on the small and you can easily assign to any spot in the kitchen. Likewise, you’ll be able to steady your motions with the convenient handle.
Below, the base is a non-slip and together with the handle, you’ll speedily sharpen knives within a minute. Part of this is due to the diamond-coated wheel that increases the sharpening ability.
- 2-stage sharpening tool for sharper knives
- Ergonomic handle for comfort
- Properly sharpens the knife for powerful cutting power
- It’s budget-friendly and thus perfect
- Not efficient for sharpening knives made with ceramic materials
Electric Knife Sharpener Tool 3-in-1 – Sharpening Machine for Knives Scissors & Screwdrivers
For users who want to purchase a sharpener that’s perfect for more than one knife, the Electric Knife Sharpener Tool 3-in-1 is perfect for your needs. There’s an automatic process in use that occurs in 2 parts. All of this is kept in a compact body that you can easily adjust to. Also as a result of that, you don’t have to worry about it taking up space.
With the points above, you can use the electric knife sharpener in coarse mode to repair any heavily blunted knife you own. Otherwise, you can just maintain/polish the knife with the second mode.
- Automatic knife sharpener with a 3-in-1 function for dynamic use
- Compact size for easy storage
- Process isn’t time-consuming
- Does not work for serrated blades
Zulay Kitchen 2-Stage Professional Knife Sharpener
Zulay kitchen professional knife sharpener is very effective when it comes to sharpening your kitchen knives. Available is a sharpening system that’s divided into 2. You’ll notice that the first one simply sharpens any rough edge it finds while the second polish your knife blade as a form of maintenance. You can use this sharpener for pocket knives, hunting knives, as long as they have straight or serrated edges.
Also, there’s a non-slip base that’s perfect for kitchen tops. This gives you stability when you’re sharpening the knife. Likewise, the handle is ergonomic so that sharpening can be done easily.
- Comes with a coarse slot for rejuvenating your knife
- The non-slip bottom fit for counter and table tops
- Build-quality is fine
- Serrated knives have to be used with “fine slot”
Chef’sChoice 4643 ProntoPro
If the knife sharpener above isn’t quite to your taste, here’s another choice from chef’s choice that also carries your knife through three stages of knife sharpening. There’s a crisscross sharpening technology that helps to deliver a smooth edge whenever you use the sharpener. In the long run, that’ll help maintain your knife’s lifespan since metal loss will be greatly reduced.
While manual knife sharpeners are great to use, they can be a bit inconvenient to hold depending on the material their handles are made off. However, with ChefChoice you won’t have to worry about that. A soft-touch handle is what gives you a firm grip.
After that, the compact and convenient design help in balancing your movement and thus perfect for creating ultra-sharp 15 and 20 degrees’ edge. We personally feel all of these things are due to the high-quality parts that make up the sharpener.
- Crisscross sharpening technology
- 3-stage manual sharpener for sharper blades
- Diamond abrasive in all stages
- Frame is very sturdy
- Manual sharpener requires a bit of effort to use
Kitchellence Knife Sharpener
Though you’ll have to manually sharpen your knife, this Kitchellence sharpener makes the entire process easier with the coarse diamond-coated wheel. Further, you’ll even go through a 3-stage sharpening system to efficiently sharpen your knives.
On the part of the design, the sharpener is comfortable to grasp, though that may simply be due to the fact that sharpening any blade doesn’t take that long. This is partly also as a result of the holder and sharpener being in separate areas on the device’s body.
Occasionally, the knife sharpener may fall, in which case, the build quality handles the impact. Also, you won’t notice any fading nor rusting when it comes in contact with water. So, you don’t really have to worry about any replacement for a long time.
- Easy to use for sharpening your knife faster and more easily
- Non-slip feature
- 2-wheel sharpening system for efficiency
- Strong build allows long-term use
- The system of sharpening is manual
Knife Sharpener Buying Guide
When it comes to purchasing a knife sharpener for yourself, there are certain factors that matter a lot. These factors help you determine the best knife sharpener to buy. Go through the list that has been created below to note all the factors that need to be considered;
Knives are very sharp objects and you must be very careful when handling them, sharpeners can also harm you if you don’t handle them safely. That is why you should make sure that the knife sharpener you are buying, whether, manual or automatic, has an ideal safety feature. For manual sharpener, the sharpening system should be quite distant from the handle. And for electric sharpeners, there should be slot and rail guides to help direct the hand into the sharpening disks. If the sharpener is not safe, it’s better to not have it than to risk getting hurt while sharpening your knife.
Note: There are other safety features that are unique to products.
Hard and Abrasive Surface
The best kind of surface that your sharpener can come with is a diamond surface. This is because diamonds are abrasive and hard. You can also purchase the one made with tungsten carbide and polished ceramic. Anything apart from this might not give you a good result. Abrasiveness is generally measured with the use of grit size and the higher the grit number the finer the abrasive. Check out all these details before you buy a knife sharpener.
Is your knife straight or serrated? This one of the question that you need to ask yourself when you want to buy a knife sharpener. A lot of knife sharpener can only be used for straight knife edges and some others can be used for serrated knife edges. But there some that can be used for both, you should consider buying the one that can be used for both, this will make you avoid the stress and cost of buying more than one sharpener.
You can set your angle guide and leave the sharpener to do the rest of the job. But for some sharpeners, you might need to be a bit knowledgeable on how to handle it before you can use it. So make sure that you choose a knife sharpener that makes it easy to at least place the knife at the correct angle when sharpening. This will make the operation easier and the blade will be much sharper.
This is one important factor that you must consider when you want to buy a knife sharpener. The price of the appliance must agree with your budget. It shouldn’t be too expensive and you also must avoid buying substandard products because you’re on a budget. So look for something that is moderately priced and will still sing of quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which knife sharpener is the best?
- Simply put, there’s no best knife sharpener, though we’ve compiled a list of top choice. There are a lot of variables that you must consider before you can say a knife sharpener is the best. Coincidentally, all of these variables depend on you personally, since in one way or another, your needs come first, and they’re the ones that’ll judge any product you choose. Essentially, it’s more or less about choosing your personal best.
- What angle knife sharpening?
- For most of the kitchen knives that you may have, you’ll have to sharpen them at an angle of 15 to 20 degrees. Though, there are knives whose angles, on the respective sides are different.
- What is the difference between toughness and hardness?
- Toughness and hardness can be properly explained with an example of glass. Glass, as an item is hard but not tough seeing as if you apply a little force, it easily breaks. So, hardness can be considered how thick an object is while you can define toughness as an item’s level if resistance to force.
- What is a ceramic knife sharpener?
- We can explain that as a knife sharpener that’s suitable for sharpening of knives made from ceramic. Meaning, the knife sharpener will correctly sharpen ceramic knives at the right angle and throughout the process, you’ll notice minimal ceramic loss. All with no damage to the knife sharpener as well.
- Is sharpening knife easy?
- To give you a bit of insight on how easy it is, the entire process that you carry out when sharpening a knife lasts under a minute. So, make a serious of motions and afterward, the knife will be sharpened to a T.