There are several factors that you should consider before picking a sewing machine. The best sewing machine will depend on the skills, the potential projects, and the budget. Some of the features that you should look out in a sewing machine that will make your sewing easier include automatic threaders, adjustable sewing speed, one-step buttonholes and this should be proportional to the number of stitches that a sewing machine boosts.
The type of machine that you buy will determine the success of your project. To obtain the best sewing machine, you need to understand what you want to do and the ability of each machine. This will help you pick the model that will suit your project as well as one which you can allow you to enhance your skills into future sewing projects.
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparison Chart of the Best Sewing Machine
- 2 Top 10 Best Sewing Machines Review
- 3 Singer 7258— Computerized Sewing Machine with 100 in-built Stitches
- 4 Brother XM2701—Full-Featured Sewing Machine Suitable for Beginners
- 5 Singer 7640—Confidence Computerized 200-Stitch Sewing Machine
- 6 Janome JW8100— Feature Predetermined Stitch Lengths and Volumes
- 7 Singer 9960—Quantum Stylist Computerized Sewing Machine
- 8 Juki MO644D— Incredible Speed of up to 1,500 Stitches per Minute
- 9 Toyota Oekaki Renaissance—Lightweight and Easy to Use Controls
- 10 Brother HC1850— Features Computerized Features Suitable for Professionals
- 11 Juki HZL-F600— With 600 Build in Stitches and Hands-Free Presser Foot Lifting
- 12 Elna eXplore 240— High Quality Machine that Can Used for Lettering and Decorations
- 13 THE BEST SEWING MACHINE BUYERS GUIDE
Comparison Chart of the Best Sewing Machine
|Model||Stitches per minute||Built-in Stitches||Stitch Width||Auto thread cut||Thread tension||Weight (lbs)|
|Toyota Oekaki Renaissance||650||50||5MM||Yes||Manual||14.33|
|Elna eXplore 240||800||24||5MM||No||Automatic||17.15|
Top 10 Best Sewing Machines Review
Singer 7258— Computerized Sewing Machine with 100 in-built Stitches
The singer 7258 stylist, is a highly versatile machine that you can get at an affordable price. It comes in two versions, the 70 or 100 stitch versions both of which are computerized. As for the stitches, this machine has all the basic straight and zigzag stitch patterns as well as a range of decorative stitching options. If you like diversification, you will love this machine since it also has heirloom and quilting stitches, not to mention the seven types of one-step buttonholes it offers.
If you are looking for a machine that is easy to use, this machine is for you. It has a combination of features that are designed to make it easy to use; they include a top-loading bobbin, an automatic needle threader, a LED-lit sewing surface, speed control, a needle that can be made to stop at top or bottom positions and it is easy to switch between stitches.
The machine isn’t just easy to use, but also quiet when sewing. When you buy this machine, you get ten metallic presser feet and a 25 year limited warranty.
- Has up to 100 in-built stitches
- Automatic needle threader
- Speed control up to about 750 stitches per minute
- Quiet while sewing
- Easy stitch selection
- It only has a warranty of only 1 year for the adjustments, bulbs, rings, belts, and attachments
- As compared to other highly ranked machines, it has a slow stitching speed
- Some of the parts such as the pedal and bobbin cover are made of plastic
Brother XM2701—Full-Featured Sewing Machine Suitable for Beginners
Brother XM2701 is a non-computerized sewing machine. Its price is very pocket-friendly.
This machine offers you a range of 27 types of stitches that include; all the basic stitches, decorative stitches, zigzag, blind hem and stretch stitches. It also contains 1 one-step buttonhole.
You will find that this machine has features that make it so easy to use. They include, a simple dial for stitch selection, a top loading bobbin, led light for easy visibility, and an automatic needle threader. It will please you to know that it also has automatic bobbin winding.
If you want a machine that you can use with thick fabrics as well as light ones, this is the machine for you. This machine comes with a 25-year warranty and six presser feet.
- It is affordable
- Portable, weighing 12.6 lbs
- Quiet while sewing
- It is easy to use for beginners as it comes with instructions and is uncomplicated
- Has 25 years warranty
- The LED light is a bit dim.
- The pressure in the presser foot is not adjustable.
Singer 7640—Confidence Computerized 200-Stitch Sewing Machine
The Singer 7640 Confidence is a powerful computerized sewing machine that will revolutionize your sewing. The machine boasts of 200 built-in stitch types that range from basic stitches to decorative to stretch stitches and more, offering you a wide variety to choose from. As for buttonholes, this fantastic machine gives you a variety of 8 one-step buttonholes to choose from.
You will be impressed by the machine’s 40 character memory capacity that allows you to create your own stitch sequence. You will find this machine really easy to use with its built-in needle threader and thread cutter that trims both the top and bottom threads. You will also love the speed control that allows you to set the speed and volume of the stitches you want. It has an LCD screen that allows you to see the stitch types you’ve selected and settings during the night.
When it comes to convenience this machine has got you covered; it has a top drop-in bobbin and transparent bobbin cover that will allow you to keep track of the amount of thread in your bobbin. It will allow you to set the length of the stitches so that you can make the stitches narrower or wider, you can also set the stopping position of the needle whether top or bottom.
- Sturdy metal frame for durability
- LED lights for a clear view
- Start and stop button for quick, easy use of the machine
- Has a free arm that makes it easy to sew in any tubular garment
- Comes with soft dust cover
- Heavy and not easily portable
- Its complexity makes it unsuitable for beginners
Janome JW8100— Feature Predetermined Stitch Lengths and Volumes
The Janome JW8100 is a computerized sewing machine that has 100 types of stitches to choose from ranging from the basic stitches to fancy decorative stitch types. This machine will be of convenience to you since it comes with predetermined stitch lengths and volumes and so you don’t have to try to find the best one.
To switch stitches you only have to look for the stitch code from the stitch card and feed it into the machine. You will also like the start and stop button on the machine that frees you from having to use the foot pedal all the time.
When you buy this machine, it will come with 5 feet that will help you in your sewing. It also comes with some extra bobbins and spool pin as well as a decorative pin-cushion. The machine can also produce a cool breeze that can be very helpful during hot seasons.
- It is convenient and easy to use.
- It has very accurate stitching.
- Has speed control
- It is quiet.
- The stitch patterns come in a separate card that can be lost
- Its LCD screen is quite small.
Singer 9960—Quantum Stylist Computerized Sewing Machine
The singer 9960 Quantum stylist is a high- end computerized sewing machine. This machine is worth its price as it has a wide variety of features that include 600types of stitches. Not only that but also 13 one-step buttonholes, an impressive range of 5 fonts for embroidering letters and numbers as well as 18 presser feet.
As the price would suggest, this machine is as powerful and convenient. It comes equipped with an automatic needle threader and automatic thread trimmer. It will allow you to control the speed of stitching and has a top loading bobbin. The needle can be set to stop on top or bottom positions, and you can see the settings you have selected on the LCD screen, and which presser foot would work best for the selected stitches.
The machine has another feature that you will enjoy; Auto-pilot. This will allow you to leave the machine sewing as you take a break.
- The machine is smooth and quiet while in use
- It comes with a 25-year limited warranty
- Features a sturdy, powerful metallic frame
- It is very versatile
- It is highly convenient
- It’s complicated and not easy to use for beginners
- Weighs about 20 pounds which is quite heavy
Juki MO644D— Incredible Speed of up to 1,500 Stitches per Minute
The Juki MOO644D is one the most reliable machine for beginners. This machine will offer you a variety of stitch options and accessories to make your project easier. Among the machines in its class, it is the fastest and most convenient.
The 2-3-4 thread system with an automatically rolled hem capability is among the features that make this machine irresistible. It also offers a wide selection of stitch options. These options include; 3-thread flatlock, 3-thread narrow overlock, 2-thread overcast, 4-thread overlock, 2-thread rolled hem, and 3-thread rolled hem.
The best thing about the rolled hem is that they ensure that your products have a professional touch. More so, with this sewing machine, you also have additional options such as; piping, beading, cording, blind stitching, and curved pearl foot as well as adding elastic.
You will appreciate the multi-purpose foot that allows you to add numerous products during sewing such as tape, elastic, tape, and sequins. This machine is capable of making up to 1,500 stitches per minute which is a higher speed than most of the machines in its level.
- The Rolled hemming is exceptionally useful for novice
- Incredible speed of up to 1,500 stitches per minute
- Features a multi-purpose foot function
- Most of the components are adjustable
- Increased versatility and allows you to create professional level products
- Does not offer automatic features for threading
- Some of the components only have a warranty of 60 days.
Toyota Oekaki Renaissance—Lightweight and Easy to Use Controls
This is a recommendable machine for free motion embroidery. Toyota Oekaki Renaissance comes with a unique design with a sleek and curved appearance. It features an LCD screen with buttons that allows you to select settings. It provides 50 stitch options, and you have the option to control it with either hand or foot. The surprising fact about this machine is that it is capable of free motion embroidery and even better, it features templates that give you some design ideas you can incorporate in your projects
Its lightweight design makes it easy to use, and its performance is excellent across various materials including cotton, stretch materials, and denim. One of its downfalls is that when changing the desired stitch, it has to cycle through multiple stitches to get to the right stitch which could be irritating.
Other desirable features of this machine include; 3 automatic buttonhole styles, 5mm width control, drop-in bobbin system, and the 50 built-in stitches. It also has a super jeans function that allows you to glide over 12 layers of fabric and you will be impressed by the thick thread sewing capacity.
- Lightweight machine
- Comes with a threading guide
- Controls are easy to use
- Can be used on materials such as cotton, stretch fabric and denim
- Stitch selection can be irritating since you have to cycle through to find the desired stitch
- You have to combine the stitches manually
Brother HC1850— Features Computerized Features Suitable for Professionals
This is an all-around tool that is suitable for various sewing needs and also features incredible features for quilting and monogramming. Regardless of whether you are a beginner or an intermediate, you will find the machine easy to use.
Its simplicity, and computerized features make it the best machine to start with. It also comes with an instructional DVD and an operational manual to ensure you get your stitches right. If you are a professional, you can use it as a secondary sewing machine, and you can be sure it won’t disappoint.
The automatic needle threading system not only makes your sewing easier but also fun. You also have the option to either control it through the foot controller or the machine controls. You can also control the speed of sewing.
The computerized features will transform your sewing experience especially since the machine will do most of the figuring for example which presser foot will work best with what switch.
- The features are suitable for beginners and sewing students
- Enough stitches for any project
- It’s easy to use
- The LED lighting allows you to work even at night
- It can be used for small quilting tasks
- The monogramming capabilities cannot be freely adjusted
- Lacks auto-cut feature
Juki HZL-F600— With 600 Build in Stitches and Hands-Free Presser Foot Lifting
The Juki HZL-F600 is an all-round dream machine suitable for projects such as quilters and seamstresses. It comes with 600 build-in stitch patterns and 16 built-in buttonholes and is one of the sewing machines that come with a large under arm working space. Thus, with this machine, you can handle any sewing projects ranging from simple clothing to more advanced quilts and dresses.
It comes with an extension table that provides you with wider working areas. Another fantastic feature of this machine is the hands-free presser foot lifting which makes the piecing easier and smoother. Its automatic thread trimmer allows you to trim the top and bobbin thread and you can activate this using three methods; pre-programmed, the foot pedal and using a button on the face of the machine.
It also comes with a Box feed technology which helps increase the stitch quality, and it ensures that there will not be any stitch shrinkage or shifting. Inserting buttons is made easier using the automatic buttonholer which only requires you to place the button at the foot, and the machine will automatically make the right buttonhole size.
- Long working space
- Suitable for both lightweight and heavyweight materials
- A wide range of automatic and convenient features
- High quality within its range
- Could be quite complicated for beginners
- Can be quite confusing to beginners
Elna eXplore 240— High Quality Machine that Can Used for Lettering and Decorations
This is suitable for users who love mechanical machines. It can reach up to 800 stitches per minute and has 24 in-built switch patterns. This machine will help you in lettering or when using a bunch of decorative stitches since it features a straight stitch, zig-zag, double overlock, and blind hem among others.
This high-quality machine is suitable for individuals learning to sew as well as experienced sewers. It comes with a one-step buttonhole and a handy built-in needle threader. To make your work easier, especially for beginners, the stitches are conveniently displayed on the front of the machine. With this machine you can work on circular sewing as well as twin needle sewing.
It features an adjustable foot pressure and electronic foot control. With this machine, you will have access to a wide range of accessories. You will also be impressed by its fast pace of winding bobbins.
- Can be used for a wide range of projects
- Suitable for beginners
- It is easy to use
- Stitch length and width is changed manually
- It’s an old-fashioned machine
- Lacks integrated speed control
THE BEST SEWING MACHINE BUYERS GUIDE
Factors to Consider when Buying a Sewing Machine
Manual or Computerized
In the last decade, the improvised technology has seen the manufacturing of computerized sewing machines. Either of the category has its pros and cons, and there are factors that you should consider before deciding to buy either of them.
- Cheaper than computerized
- Feature the basic functions that every beginner can work with
- Have a longer life expectancy
- Quite expensive
- Wide variety of pre-sets
- More customizations options
- Allows you to import designs from the internet
- Work faster and efficiently
Number of Stitch Patterns Offered
This is one of the most important features that you should consider when looking for the best sewing machine. These patterns could either be straight, looped, reversed, and zigzagged. Machines have different stitch patterns which range between 3-1000 stitches. Those with hundreds of in-built stitch pattern often come at a higher cost. If you are looking for a moderate prized stitch, then a sewing machine with approximately 20-30 machines is a better option.
The Versatility of the Stitch Length
The stitch length determines the flexibility of the stitch pattern. Under this requirement, you should consider your planned use of the machine. For instance if you need;
- Securing seams-you will need a short stitch length (1.0 mm or less)
- Creating seams- requires a medium stitch length (about 2.5 mm)
- Basting and gathering fabric- needs a long stitch length (about 5.0 mm)
- Zigzag patterns- the stitch length will determine how far apart the zigs zags will be
It is important to remember that the longer the stitch length the looser the seam.
Most sewing machine prices range between $100-$700 and more. High-end machines are more expensive, but you can be sure that they are more efficient and will give value to your money. The cheaper machines have more plastic features which makes them less durable. It is advisable to choose a machine that is mid-range where you will obtain a combination of quality, and reasonable price. However, if you can afford an expensive machine, then the better.
The Working Space
A sewing machine that has a wider working space, give you room to maneuver your projects. It is advisable to settle for a sewing machine with a larger working space since you can handle projects with bulky clothing items and also for quilts.
Knowing the motor size is crucial in determining the materials you can work on with the machine. For instance, materials such as denim, leather and quilting materials are tough and will require a stronger motor. In this case, a machine with plastic features cannot handle such work. A stronger motor will suit heavy duty materials. However, it is important to keep in mind that a stronger motor will tend to make the machine weigh heavier.
Some of the basic features that a reliable sewing machine should have include;
- Responsive foot pedal
- Needle threader
- Multiple speeds
- Bobbin winding
- Tension options